Monday, November 22, 2021

Being Grateful is Part of Leadership.


It is Thanksgiving week in the United States, and it is a uniquely American holiday with its origins in the American Civil War.  The family gathers together to have a big meal and make plans for the Christian holiday in December.  The Thanksgiving holiday weekend is also a great opportunity to emotionally reset and take stock of the things in life which make you grateful.  In the lonely world of leadership, gratitude is the only thing that can keep you concentrating on long-range goals. 

General Collin Powell died this year, and this imperfect patriot had plenty of things to say about leadership.  I have plenty of respect for Powell and his style of leadership.  One of the things he says in his book on leadership is being in charge is a lonely activity with others second-guessing decisions.  A leader deals with negativity, hostility, and apathy each day, and it can make even the most enthusiastic to a cause feel crippling levels of exhaustion.  In those moments of fatigue, being grateful for even the most minor things in life make it possible to move on to the next day.  

Even in the dark moments, it helps to take time to show gratitude for what good you can find in the world surrounding you.  First of all, I am grateful to the CAPCO organization.  I was feeling discouraged about my career, and they hired me as a Senior Consultant.  Since I have joined the organization, I feel like I now have a tribe of people as my colleagues.  We are eccentrics, innovative, and want to make a difference in the business world.  Being the lone agile person in an organization is isolating.  To be part of a group of agile professionals going through the same struggles make the fight worth it. 

I am grateful my parents are alive, and I get to enjoy them in their old age.  Life expectancy has doubled in a century, and my family has benefited.  I see my mother and father grow old together.  Our family will spend the Thanksgiving holiday together, and we will catch up and love each other as an immediate family can.  I get to enjoy the wit and wisdom of my parents for a while longer.  

Four years ago, a woman entered my life, and I have been a better person for the experience.  My partner Carol is warm, empathetic, and kind.  She puts up with my crazy career and the emotional ups and downs which come with it.  She is a teacher of young children, so I am learning how to relate better to small children.  She and her grown children have accepted me into their family, and I am grateful for that acceptance.  

I could go on, but I am most grateful for many things.  It helps push away the despair and darkness.  It is a chance to reflect on gratitude which helps make our workday struggles seem less consequential.  I am grateful to you, my readers and I look forward to more agile adventures in the future.  Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.  

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment