Monday, August 31, 2020

Constant learning begins with you.

It is never too late to learn


I have spoken before about how technology changes quickly and that to be successful you need to be a continuous learner.  A software developer has to relearn their profession every eighteen months.  When you lead these individuals, you should foster an environment of constant learning.  The global economy and technology field depends on the forward momentum of learning. 

The world we live in today is radically different from the start of the internet era.  Do it yourself videos are everywhere on YouTube.  Today, anyone with a video camera and an opinion can behave like a network pundit.  In the world of technology, the hacker ethos and open source community have won the debate about how enterprise systems should operate.  It is a world of open source, cloud computing, and mobile devices.  Business leaders are struggling to understand these changes.  

With change happening so quickly, it is easy to see how people can fall behind.  It is why there are so many training conferences, continuing education courses, and ongoing programs in business to keep the skills of professionals up to date.  It is why I continue to dabble in software development even though I spend the majority of my time in a coaching role.  It allows me to understand the challenges and opportunities that developers face each day.  It also gives me a chance to kick off the rust and stretch myself creatively.  

I am working with .NET Core technologies for the past week, and it has been a valuable learning experience.  Instead of XML configuration files, .NET Core uses JSON.  The Bootstrap CSS system is now on version four, and communicating with Restful APIs is like connecting to a database.  I felt like a child learning to program again.  I watched a few training videos on YouTube and made the typical mistakes someone learning does.  I also had the experience of satisfaction of getting something to work correctly hours of tinkering.  

Now when I am making technology decisions, I can make a more informed choice because I have worked with the systems in question.  It is a better approach than sitting passively behind a desk and waiting for a consultant to whisper something in your ear.  It is my experience that the best leaders are the ones who lead from a position of expertise and empathy.  These people understand the day to day struggles of the business and market forces they are facing.  

It is why I attempt to kick off the rust and do some programming.  I learn new things and do some programming.  I know new things, and it provides me with insights into how people I serve work.  To foster an environment of learning, you must be willing to learn new things.  

Until next time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment