Monday, January 27, 2020

I am not going anywhere

My youthful self.
The business world can be cruel and unfeeling.  Millions of dollars move around the globe each second, and decisions in particular portions of the world can create waves of disruption.  The impersonal nature of global capitalism often makes people feel like cogs in a giant machine.  It is easy to feel lost.  The alienation we feel at work does not have to happen.  It is one of the reasons I am attracted to the agile reformation.  It is a better way to work. 

When you work in an office, you are often doing repetitive work. We cash checks, generate invoices, and service customers.  We put policies and procedures in place, but they often stifle innovation.  Managers micromanage because they are afraid to look like they have nothing to do.  It is a dreary existence that encourages people to be mediocre and perform just enough to avoid the scrutiny of the micromanagement class.

I lived that life for over twenty-five years.  I promised myself that I would try to help others avoid that trap.  It is also why I embraced the agile reformation because it felt like a more sustainable, satisfying, and safe way to work.  Leadership is hard, but if you do it right, great things happen.  I reject cruelty, alienation, and the unfeeling nature of global business.  It is why I am a scrum master and agile coach.  I will keep doing it until my time is past.  I am not going anywhere. 

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. I encourage cruelty to goalies. They're not real people anyway.

    ReplyDelete