Monday, May 20, 2019

Goodhart's Law is Going to Get You.

Goodheart's law strikes!
Information technology is hard work.  I have written about it before on this blog.  I have plenty of empathy for others who work in this profession.  I do not have much understanding of poor service or lazy behavior.  I am even less forgiving when large organizations brag about their success in public and struggle to do the basics in private.

I am at a client, and I have the following interaction with someone from the help desk; they said, “Can we close this ticket? If it ages any longer, it effects out SLA.”  My first reaction was surprise.  My second emotion was anger.  The help desk person was asking permission to close the ticket and open a new one because if they did not fix the ticket at a particular time, it would reflect poorly on him and his consulting company.  He was going to lie to make his response time look better than it was. 

It is human nature to please others.  British economist Charles Goodhart coined the maxim, “When a measure becomes a standard, it ceases to become a good measure.”  When you judge or pay people based on a measure, they will game the system in any fashion to make themselves look better.  You see this in economics.  It happens in video games and depressingly at work.  My help desk technician was living proof of Goodhart’s law.

Martin Fowler wrote a great article on the subject, and it outlines how to avoid this trap in agile practice.  Metrics are abused regularly in business.  In a large organization, the only way leadership can track progress is by reviewing these metrics.  Thus, the people doing the work are more focused on the outputs of hitting the metric numbers instead of the outcomes satisfying the customer.

I see service level agreements or SLAs as a necessary evil in business.  You have to hold vendors and third-party partners accountable.  Such a contract controls my current situation.  In a perfect world, my help ticket would age, and someone who could help me would respond to my issue.  The technician was afraid that if the ticket aged, they would receive a poor performance review or get fired.  It is an ugly situation, and if a company is going to succeed, they with have to address it. 

Large organizations need to focus on execution.  To focus on this goal, metrics and SLA’s need to be used judiciously; outcomes are superior to outputs.  It is a message which did not reach the help desk or his boss. 

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment