Monday, June 11, 2012

Change is good.

Windows 8 gets my attention like a great pin-up girl.
If there is any constant in the technology industry it is change.  Seven years ago Mark Zuckerberg was a misfit Harvard dropout with a clever PHP application. Today, he is the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company and a newlywed.  In my lifetime, telephones have gone from being dumb devices tethered to walls to portable computer weighing ounces which can call from anywhere.

I spend much of my time struggling with these changes; Enitity Framework, MVC, and HTML5 are just some of the monsters I grapple with to stay current with latest technologies.  I feel like I am being pulled like taffy.  As a technologist, I have to do this because if I don't I will relegate myself to unemployment. 

One trend I have been noticing is that mobile phones and tablets are becoming more powerful.  This power means that tasks which used to require a bar code scanner and a computer can now be done with a mobile device.  This is why to ignore mobile application development is something that developers do at their own peril. 

This is one of the reasons why I am so excited about JQuery Mobile and MS Tag.  The former makes it possible for a web developer to build mobile applications and the later makes bar code scanning obsolete.

In the next ten years, you are going to see smaller and smaller devices doing more and more.  Personal computing is going to resemble carrying around a notebook or clipboard.  If you have any doubts about this just look at the gamble Microsoft is taking with its Window 8 operating system.  While it works on a desktop or laptop it is really made for tablet devices and phones. 

If I am going to survive, I am going to have to learn the Metro way of doing web development and building applications. 

Change is constant and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment