Monday, September 25, 2023

What I Learned at AgileIndy 2023


As a business professional, it helps to spend time with others who you do not work with. It helps provide fresh perspectives and moral support when times are tough. It is also good to hear from others that they share similar struggles in their business situations. It is like cleaning the emotional pallet from the sour aftertaste of daily dysfunction. I took the opportunity to attend the AgileIndy 2023 conference to perform that cleanse. I was a presenter, and I learned a few things. Today, I wanted to share my trip report with everyone. 

I traveled to Indianapolis to present a talk on servant leadership and how to use language to build credibility with team members, stakeholders, and leaders. I had a packed room, and the presentation went well. I look forward to making many connections and seeing if my tips are helpful to people in the field. This journey's best part is meeting old friends and making new ones. The agile community is one big tribe of like-minded people who bicker like family but often unite to make work more sustainable. 

Along with giving a presentation, I got to sit in on some great presentations and discussions about how to make businesses more successful with agile techniques. If there were any big themes at this conference, they were twofold. The first theme was the role of managers in an organization going through an agile change. Teams that self-organize and deliver in rapid iterations create unique challenges for managers who now have to do something else beyond traditional management. The other theme is establishing trust in organizations. I want to discuss each of those themes. 

For many of us in the agile community, implementing agile techniques works well at the team level, and executives occasionally achieve buy-in. Most managers threaten agile methods because they fear the organizational changes that agile demands. Thus, self-organization, empowerment, and transparency often make managers feel redundant and threatened. Many change management efforts fail because middle management strangles it if considered a threat. Fortunately, Diana Williams and Liz Rettig had a great conversation about this forgotten cohort of people who can make or break your agile adoption. I know plenty of folks at Project Brilliant, and I was not disappointed by the advice and suggestions they provided. I am going to devote a future blog post to their advice. 

Mike Cottmeyer from Leading Agile gave the keynote speech about the enormous challenge facing the agile community in 2023: building trust between business leaders and agile teams. We in the agile community demand empowerment for groups doing the work. Still, empowerment does not happen if that team does not create working solutions for the business to sell. It means that for a team to be empowered, the company must trust the team to do the work. Cottmeyer points out there are steps to business agility, and approaches like SAFe and Scrum at scale are about helping the business manage technical debt and dependencies. Dependencies are agile killers in organizations, so it is up to everyone to find ways to mitigate them. The truth will always win between reality and purity, so Agile professionals need to be reality-based. 

I had some great conversations in the green room at the conference. Coaches love to talk shop, and sharing experiences with others is always instructive because our experiences overlap. Finally, I met Dimple Shah and attended her presentation, which covered diversity in organizations and how the drive for diversity is often the same as the desire for organizations to become more agile. In a relaxing manner, she reviewed that people need to both talk the talk of change and walk the walk. By following this simple approach, people create credibility in the organization.

I am fortunate to spend time around so many great people. It is also a blessing to share my knowledge and experience with others and help them. Best of all, I learned a few new things to return to my practice. I hope to present to AgileIndy next year, and I look forward to visiting plenty of old friends and making new ones. 

Until next time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment