Monday, July 20, 2020

Failure is the Fertile Soil for Growth

Failure happens


A common theme in business writing is the mythologizing of success.  It is an easy narrative to promote.  People enjoy reading about the success of others, and wealth is always intoxicating.  The struggle, failure, and sacrifices necessary to achieve that wealth have a glossy sheen in popular culture.  For me, the most exciting part of the story is how others deal with failure and crushing disappointment.  It interests me because my career has numerous episodes of frustration.  A setback proceeded with each significant improvement in my career and life. Defeat is a teaching tool for me, and now I incorporate it into my coaching practice.  

I have made numerous references to how failure is an exceptional learning tool.  Instead of failure, I should barrow the mindset of Carol Dweck and her Ted Talk from 2014.  Instead of saying, I failed, I should say that I have not yet succeeded.  It is the classic growth mindset which motivates people to figure things out and improve.  It sounds noble, but it is difficult for people to do because it challenges an individual’s self-worth.  

Thus, I spend lots of time taking the sting out of the everyday failures and mix-ups which happen in an office.  It means being kind in moments where your lesser self would like to snicker.  It means saying, “not yet,” and “what could we have done differently.”  It is holding others accountable without being mean about it.  I struggle just like the next business leader, but I have noticed that people respond to this approach.  Instead of beating a drum, a leader needs to show the way and get a little dirty in the process.  

Failure is real, but how we react to it makes the difference between a fixed mindset and growth and continuous improvement.  I choose a growth mindset any day of the week.  

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment