Monday, March 16, 2020

Just a Few Things a Good Coach Needs to Have.

Leadership is an on-going journey.
Technology and engineering are a significant reason why human civilization is so successful.  It occurred to me that without anesthesia, anti-biotics, and statin drugs, I would be dead at my present age.  I also have modern technology to thank for my career.  My fortunes have grown as the internet has become more widely accepted.  Looking back on the experience, I am amazed by the things I have learned and done.  Being an agile coach is a rewarding line of work. I am discovering it comes with a few requirements.

Listening –

I am an extroverted person.  I love expressing myself in ways big or small.  It also occurred to me that it is exhausting for the people around me.  I would have known that sooner if I had just bothered to listen to others.  My extroverted nature was getting in the way of being a better leader.  I needed to learn how to listen to others.  Listening to others will separate you from being a good leader to a great leader.  It allows you to gather information, understand the motivation of others, and hear the harsh truths associated with leading others. 

A Growth Mindset –

Problem-solving, puzzles, and working with people is frustrating.  Often you can lapse into pessimism when working with others.  Teachers talk about the "fixed mindset," where people believe their qualities are skills are static while people with a "growth mindset," are attempting to improve and learn new things.  Every time I thought I had developed expertise, reality was kind enough to point out my folly.  The world of technology has plenty of specialized professionals.  The knowledge is so specialized a leader con not know every nuance of every problem.  Thus, it is important to admit you do not know it all and strive to learn enough to have an informed opinion.  For me, it means getting more comfortable with GitHub and teaching Jira how to sing. 

Emotional Intelligence – 

Anyone who tells you business is devoid of emotions is a liar.  People sacrifice time away from their family and loved ones for the company.  Individuals have endured downsizing and austerity for the business because they did not have any choice to support family and friends.  Poor leadership has emotionally damage countless people and undermined the success of organizations.  People are messy and emotional.  It is up to leaders and coaches to understand these emotions and to understand their emotional reactions to them.  It does not mean you are devoid of emotions, but rather, you know your feelings and how to keep them in check during stressful and challenging conditions. You need to keep it together when other people are about to flip-out.  I am going to be working on this for a long time.

A sense of humor – 

Working as a white color professional is hard.  The work is often severe and high stakes.  Many people who want to be professional repress every desire to have fun at the office.  People with a sense of humor know when it is time to be serious and when humor is necessary.  Laughter, particularly at your own quirks, is cleansing and the best stress relief tool I know.  I remember a meeting devolved into grim laughter, and it was then we pulled together and started performing.  A sense of humor is necessary. 

A sense of humor, emotional intelligence, a growth mindset, and listening will make you a better leader and coach.  I am just beginning to master these skills, and I will continue to do so for the rest of my career.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment