Monday, September 16, 2019

We need to teach the agile reformation

Everyone in agile is an educator. 
I have a love affair with teachers.  My Aunt was a teacher and an elementary school principal.  My first wife was a teacher, and my current romantic partner is a teacher.  I owe my career and success to teachers who invested time and energy on me.  Teachers are the glue which holds society together, and without them, the world would collapse into a puddle of ignorance — teachers mater.

I some respects, I have become a teacher myself. I have spent the last few decades of my life learning software developments and project management.  Now I am sharing my knowledge with others and helping make business better one project at a time.  Being a scrum master and agile coach means you have to be a teacher.  The Agile manifesto and principles of agile are a foundation of a massive ecosystem of learning about how to make work more sustainable, satisfying, and sane.  It is a calling, just like teaching.

The world of agile is continuously changing. After the creation of the agile manifesto, we did not know how to scale agile to larges organizations; software testing was not part of the conversation, and many though it would only work with technology.  Today, thanks to the contributions of thousands of people we have solutions to those challenges.  We use agile in Human Resources, Education, Marketing and Finance.

To me, the reasons are clear why agile is growing.  The emphasis on transparency, inspection, and adaptation prevents organizations from being dogmatic about how they do things.  It is a pragmatic approach which makes an effort to deal with the chaotic nature of the contemporary world.  It is also a world view seen through the lens of engineering, where people fix problems and discover solutions.  Finally, it is an optimistic approach to the world where we make small and steady continuous improvements one sprint at a time.

The agile reformation is not entirely unicorns and glitter.  People are resistant to changes, and large organizations are notoriously hard to transform.  I have suffered numerous personal and professional setback in this field.  Every reformation has a counter-reformation.  Still the hard work and dedication to teaching others how to do things a better way is what keeps the movement going forward.  My love affair with teachers began when I was a child.  The love has grown stronger as I have become a coach in the agile reformation.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment