Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Agile and Scrum Prevent You From Cutting Off Your Own Hands

You can learn a lot about software from a table saw.
Over the weekend, my father and I collaborated on a woodworking project for my home.  As I have grown older, I appreciate the time I have with him.  Over the last seventy years, he has acquired plenty of wisdom.  He likes to share it with me from time to time.  This week I want to share my father’s wisdom with you.

We were working with a table saw constructing a gaming table for my house.  I am intimidated by power tools.  I am afraid of injuring myself or someone else.  My father said, that my fear was justified but I needed to get comfortable with power tools because, “It isn’t any harder than writing software,” he joked.

After a few hours on the table saw, my father mentioned, “We have plenty of wood son; you only have two hands,” At this moment, I realized this bit of wisdom also applied to software and Agile.

Too often, software developers are trained in isolation learning to work by themselves.  They do not learn to work with others and once they basics are mastered they develop their own “style” of programming which is often incompatible with other programmers.

You also do not see formal training in Test Driven Development and debugging code.  I realize now this is like not warring safety goggles when you are using a power tool.  The “commando code” style many developers learned needs to go away because when something goes wrong it really goes wrong with that style.

Unit tests make sure that if a class changes and functionality is disrupted a developer can find and diagnose the problem.  Otherwise, it could take hours to track down and fix the problem.  Source control systems such as Git and TFS exist to make sure everyone is working on the same code set.  This prevents one developer from overwriting the changes of another developer.  Finally, design patterns like SOLID, make sure that developers have a common reference point to discuss the architecture of software.

As a junior and intermediate developer, I rebelled against these practices.  Now that I am a senior developer and scrum master, I embrace them.  My career is testimony to this change of heart.  I have broken software builds, destroyed production servers, and over billed numerous credit cards.  The results of this carelessness were long bouts of unemployment and financial hardship.  To put it mildly, I have figuratively cut off my hand more times than I can count.

So to my fellow Scrum Masters and developers.  Slow down there is plenty of wood but you only have two hands.  It is advice, I should have followed years ago.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment