Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bad Mythology

Don't work your employees to death
Sometimes you stumble on a blog that is so good you can’t help but share it.  This one comes from the Harvard Business Review. 
Tony Schwartz talks about the four myths companies still live by.  Most relevant to me is #4.  I have worked for organizations which have expected developers to work nine or ten hours a day six days a week and they wonder why those developers quit or burn out. 
The key to getting more work done is to use time wisely and to put into place systems which make the most of the people you have.  Anything else is an excuse for employee burn out.  I hope that as business picks up I am not forced to transform my employees into wage slaves.  To do anything else would be to obey an outdated mythology.
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment